Friday, January 6, 2012

My Vegan-Chile....do-over

Ok, I made vegan chili yesterday, and to say it was less to be desired is an understatement.  But today, I took the whole pot, and dumped it back into a pot that had sauteed white onions in 2tbsp of olive oil, 2 cloves of garlice diced up, 2 scalions, and a can of heavily rinsed back beans, and I must say, I am pleased with the outcome.  So my original recipe was in one big soup pot,  a bag of lentils rinsed, 1/2 cup of brown rice (for a complete protein), 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 tiny can of tomato paste, 3 cups of water, and some cumin, some chili powder, some cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
So from my learning experience, what I'm going to try next is first saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, on a seperate pot cook the brown rice, 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water, then back into the onion pot, add the water, lentils, diced tomatoes and seasoning.  Cook on low for about an hour, then add the rinsed black beans, the rice and scalions.  Let cook on simmer for 30 minutes, might have to add water to get the consistency of chili.  Oh well, all a learning process. 
I also read the blog of "Vegan Chicks" and their chili recipe looks really good too.  Going to try that next week.  Till then, health and happiness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment